We Can’t Market Ourselves Because Our Competitors Will See’…. Do or Die!
How many times have you heard this cited as a reason for not marketing a company, particularly in relation to marketing the brand online?
Whilst mentoring businesses and individuals in branding and online marketing, I’ve heard this many times. But, there are many reasons why you should promote your business, both online and offline.
- Do or Die. If you hide from your competitors, you’re also hiding from your customers. This won’t help you to grow your business.
- Prying Eyes. Contrary to popular myth, your competitors aren’t watching what you do daily – probably not even weekly or monthly. Most of us are too busy doing our own jobs to get hung up on the specifics of what others are doing (or at least we should be).
- Authenticity is Hard to Copy! By the time your competitors get around to copying your last campaign, you’ll be busy with your next big idea. Lasting competitive advantage is gained by leading the way, not following. And if you’re being true to yourself and your brand, this authenticity isn’t easy to copy anyhow.
- Competition is healthy. We all get bogged down with daily tasks and sometimes ideas we’ve had for a long time remain just ideas…. until someone else implements them. After you’ve given yourself a sharp kick up the backside for letting it happen, it spurs you into action. You should thank your competitors at this point.
- Co-conspirators. Your competitors are not always a dark and devious lot that you should stay well clear of (well, most aren’t anyhow). Often you’ve much in common, and these people are sometimes the first to support your efforts with a like and share…. or even a ‘well done!’ The best business minds know that benefits can be gained from collaborating with other industry specialists and celebrating each other’s successes.
- Plenty for Everyone. Finally, there’s enough business out there for all of us. Give your competitors due consideration, but don’t overestimate them to the point where you underestimate or undersell yourself and thus fail to reach your full potential.
If you’re not actively marketing your business online, it’s time to develop and implement your digital marketing strategy. We’re back to where we started – do or die, and no-one wants to be left behind!
Denise Cowan is a Digital Marketing Consultant and SME Business Mentor based in Banbridge, Northern Ireland. She specialises in digital strategy, content marketing, copywriting, social media marketing and SEO. Contact email@example.com